Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The end of an era.

Those are a few of the words that Andrea chose to describe yesterday. It was the last day of Set It Up for the season - and my last day of Set It Up ever. It hit me, at some point this morning, biking to work - my last day.

Set It Up is the reason why I tell people I love my job. For a good part of my day, I sit at my desk and play work. I answer phones and respond to e-mails and coordinate programs and work in an office. At the end of my day, I get to stand up, walk away from my desk, and hang out with young people. And they're wonderful. And there's energy - creating things, making messes, making inappropriate comments, making fun of each other, talking about school and life and parents and last night and New York and LA and maybe college. And for whatever reason they respect me, and that's awesome. And the one thing I keep coming back to is how much they inspire me.

To end on a less sappy note - one of my favorite parts of yesterday was giving end-of-the-year gifts. For our incredible volunteers, Andrea and I decided on two pounds of Swedish Fish and framed photos of us. Awesome.



1 comment:

rox said...

oh and what an era it was. I think the picture you gave me will have to go in the garage instead of at my office because both jeff and matt love it. also, everyone should see the last episode of SIU. it's unbelievable.